Northport in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Northport First United Methodist Church
The bell of this church sounded the tocsin at the approach of Gen. John T. Croxton’s Union troops in their raid on Tuscaloosa, April 3, 1865.
Erected 1971 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 33° 13.248′ N, 87° 34.758′ W. Marker is in Northport, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker is on Main Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 Main Avenue, Northport AL 35476, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shirley Place (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home Guard Defended Covered Bridge / Bridging The Black Warrior River (approx. half a mile away); Captain Benjamin F. Eddins (approx. 0.6 miles away); Burns’ Shoals (approx. 0.6 miles away); Horace King (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Black Warrior River (approx. 0.7 miles away); Navigation and Shipbuilding On The Black Warrior River (approx. 0.7 miles away); The M & O Railroad Trestle (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northport.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 765 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.