Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Frostburg in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Frostburg

The Frost Family Legacy

 
 
Frostburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 13, 2007
1. Frostburg Marker
Inscription. Years before St. Michael’s Church was built, Meshach Frost and his wife Catherine purchased this property in 1812. When the Frosts bought the property, construction of the National Road was already underway. They soon found they were feeding and housing laborers working on the road.

Once the National Road was completed through western Maryland, the Frosts’ Highland Hall became a popular stop where travelers changed horses and relayed the mail and freight.

Originally called Mount Pleasant, the name changed to Frost Town and then Frostburg in honor of Meshach Frost, who was also the postmaster. Soon after, coal was found nearby, and the town’s population exploded. Mine workers, goods and supplies arrived by way of the National Road. Main Street, the National Road through Frostburg, soon developed into a busy commercial district.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
 
Location. 39° 39.415′ N, 78° 55.649′ W. Marker is in Frostburg, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is on East Main Street (Alternate U.S. 40) east of Broadway, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frostburg MD 21532, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
Close-Up of Photos on Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 13, 2007
2. Close-Up of Photos on Marker
“Meshach and Catherine Frost. The Frost family not only founded Frostburg, but also was instrumental in developing the coal industry that kept the town prosperous after the railroad eclipsed travel along the National Road.”
other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frost Graves (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Frostburg (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Naming of Frostburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away); The National Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Coal Mining (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Frostburg (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frostburg.
 
Also see . . .  Frostburg Attractions. (Submitted on November 14, 2007.)
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Close-Up of Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 13, 2007
3. Close-Up of Photo on Marker
“Frostburg’s Main Street is decorated for a patriotic holiday in 1912. Note the power and telephone lines, the paved street and the trolley tracks, all features of an up-to-date 20th century community.”
Main Street – Failinger's Hotel Gunter image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 13, 2007
4. Main Street – Failinger's Hotel Gunter
Originally the deluxe Gladstone Hotel when it opened in 1876.
Markers, Frost Grave Monument, St. Michael's Rectory image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 13, 2007
5. Markers, Frost Grave Monument, St. Michael's Rectory
Meschach Frost's log house later called Highland Hall stood where the rectory is now.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,690 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 14, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement