Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Grave of Colonel J. W. Fannin and His Men

 
 
Grave of Colonel J. W. Fannin and His Men Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 11, 2010
1. Grave of Colonel J. W. Fannin and His Men Marker
Inscription.
After battle of Coleto (March 19 - 20, 1836), where a Texas Army under Col. James Walker Fannin met defeat by Mexicans in superior numbers, the Texas soldiers were held in Presidio La Bahia, supposedly as war prisoners. However, by order of Mexican Gen. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, approximately 400 of Fannin's men were marched out and massacred on Palm Sunday, March 27, 1836. The wounded were shot one by one in the fort compound. Col. Fannin was the last to die. Because of their profession, Drs. J. H. Barnard, J. E. Field and Jack Shackelford were spared; about 25 men were saved by a Mexican woman, "The Angel of Goliad". Approximately 30 escaped by feigning death or by swimming the San Antonio River. The Texans' corpses were stripped and partly burned, but left unburied. This atrocity three weeks after the fall of the Alamo gave Texans part of the battle cry--"Remember the Alamo! Remember La Bahia!"--under which decisive victory was won at San Jacinto on April 21, 1836. Gen. Thomas J. Rusk and the Texan Army afterwards marched here and gathered the bones of Fannin's men from the terrain. From Presidio La Bahia the remains were carried in procession to the grave, and there given a military funeral and burial on June 3, 1836.
 
Erected 1968 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
"Fannin Burial Monument - Goliad State Park Historic District image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 11, 2010
2. "Fannin Burial Monument - Goliad State Park Historic District
Built in 1938. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior."
2257.)
 
Location. 28° 38.763′ N, 97° 22.822′ W. Marker is in Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is at the intersection of Fannin Monument Road and Cabrera Road on Fannin Monument Road. Touch for map. Marker is at the Fannin Burial Monument - about 0.3 mile south of Goliad State Park and Presidio La Bahia. Marker is in this post office area: Goliad TX 77963, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Angel of Goliad (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); General Ignacio Zaragoza (approx. 0.2 miles away); Presidio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de la Bahía (approx. 0.2 miles away); Manuel Becerra (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zúñiga (approx. 0.9 miles away); Don Rafael Antonio Manchola (approx. 1½ miles away); Regulators of Goliad County (approx. 1½ miles away); Goliad Tornado of 1902 (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
 
Also see . . .  Goliad Campaign. (Submitted on September 10, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Additional keywords. Goliad Massacre; National Register of Historic Places.
Inscription at the foot of the monument image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 11, 2010
3. Inscription at the foot of the monument
"... Remember Goliad!"

 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesNotable EventsWar, Texas Independence
 
Names of Colonel Fannin's men - inscribed on the face of the monument image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 11, 2010
4. Names of Colonel Fannin's men - inscribed on the face of the monument
Grave of Colonel J. W. Fannin and His Men Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 11, 2010
5. Grave of Colonel J. W. Fannin and His Men Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,426 times since then and 130 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 10, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement