Toronto in Toronto County, Ontario — Central Canada
St. Andrew By-The-Lake
Designated under the Ontario Heritage Act
Toronto Historical Board
Erected 1980 by Toronto Historical Board.
Location. 43° 37.21′ N, 79° 22.189′ W. Marker is in Toronto, Ontario, in Toronto County. Marker can be reached from Cibola Avenue. Touch for map. St. Andrew By-The-Lake is located on Centre Island in Toronto Islands Park. Access to the Centre Island is by ferry from the terminal at the foot of Bay Street. Once on the island, the church is about a 10-12 minute walk along the main pedestrian/bike path, heading east from the Centre Island ferry terminal, just short of the Royal Canadian
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Royal Canadian Yacht Club (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Lake Light (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Little Norway (approx. 2.9 kilometers away); The Royal York Hotel (approx. 3 kilometers away); The Bishop’s Palace 1818 (approx. 3 kilometers away); Mary Ann Shadd Cary (approx. 3.3 kilometers away); No. 2 (Centre) Blockhouse (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); The Battle of York 1813 (approx. 3.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toronto.
More about this marker. The marker itself is mounted on a low rock, which is located in the hollow within the bush that is to the left of the front walkway. The marker is easy to miss.
Also see . . . A Brief History of St. Andrew-by-the-Lake. "This wooden church was built in 1884 at a cost of $2,000. Mr. A.R. Dennison was the architect. A moving force behind the construction of an island church was The Most Reverend Arthur Sweatman (1834-1909) who later became Lord Bishop of Toronto, Lord Archbishop of Toronto [1907 - 1909], and Primate of All Canada [1907 - 1909]. The island church functioned as the Bishop's chapel-of-ease in the long summer idyll of the last century. Some of Toronto's leading families such as the Masseys and Gooderhams assisted in bringing about the establishment of the church during their summers on Toronto Island...." (Submitted on September 10, 2010.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 655 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 10, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.