Placerville in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
John Mohler Studebaker
Pioneer – Blacksmith – Soldier
Inventor – Builder
Erected 1939 by James Marshall Chapter No.49, E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 43.765′ N, 120° 47.85′ W. Marker is in Placerville, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Main Street east of Bedford Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is located on the western corner of a coffee retail restaurant outside seating and is obscured by bushes. Marker is at or near this postal address: 549 Main Street, Placerville CA 95667, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Vetís Building (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Wonderly House / N.C. Fassett Groceries & Provisions / Burn & McBride / Lofty Louís Yarn Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Upper Central House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fountain and Tallman Soda Works (about 300 feet away); Placerville (about 500 feet away); Thomas Maul (about 500 feet away); The Druid Monument (about 500 feet away); County of El Dorado Courthouse Restoration (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Placerville.
Regarding John Mohler Studebaker. This site was designated as California
Statement of Significance:
Studebaker's Shop (Site of) - This shop was built in the early 1850s. The front part housed a blacksmith shop operated by Ollis and Hinds, and John Mohler Studebaker rented a part of the rear. Here he had a bench and sort of woodworking shop where he repaired and worked on wagon wheels and the like. A little later he began to make wheelbarrows for the miners' use. He became engaged in the making of ammunition wagons for the Union Army - from that grew his extensive wagon and carriage business and, eventually, the automobile business.
(Site Location: 543 Main St, Placerville)
1. The Studebaker Automobile
The Studebaker brothers were the only corporation that was successful in making the transition from horse drawn to gasoline powered vehicles. Studebaker eased their way into the automobile market after the turn of the century, introducing an electric car in 1902. Gasoline powered Studebakers came in 1904, produced by the Garford Company in Ohio, marketed under the name Studebaker-Garford. At age 84, John Mohler Studebaker was the only brother that lived to see the production of the automobile (born 1833 and died 1917).
— Submitted September 10, 2010.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,335 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 16, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 2, 3. submitted on September 10, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.