New Haven in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Fort Wooster Park
The Quinnipiac Tribe
Battle site of the American patriots against the British forces during the invasion of New Haven on July 5, 1779
Location of a hilltop beacon to warn of approaching enemy ships during the War of 1812, site of earthen ramparts and a black powder cellar
[ back ]
On November 24, 1638, the Quinnipiac leaders: Montowese, Sawseunek, Momaugin, Sugcogisin, Carroughood, Weesaucuck and Shaumpishuh signed a treaty with the Rev. John Davenport and Theophilus Eaton, which designated the east side of the harbor as a reservation of 1200 acres for the Native Americans.
The Indian population gradually dwindled, some of the men serving in Great Britain's colonial wars. East Haven farmers pressured the Quinnipiacs to
Location. 41° 16.93′ N, 72° 53.65′ W. Marker is in New Haven, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Townsend Avenue and Upson Terrace, on the left when traveling south on Townsend Avenue. Touch for map. Located in Fort Wooster Park. Marker is in this post office area: East Haven CT 06512, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Quinnipiac Indian (a few steps from this marker); Beacon Hill (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); East Shore Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); 32nd Ward World War I Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Nathan Hale (approx. 0.9 miles away); In Honor of Captain Nathan Hale (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Oyster Industry in New Haven (approx. 0.9 miles away); Society of The Cincinnati Memorial (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Haven.
Regarding Fort Wooster Park.
As of 1820, Fort Wooster was an oval earthen redoubt on a height commanding 168 ft, at 2000 yards distance, over Fort Hale. Its circuit measured on the interior crest of the breastworks was 122 yards, its longer axis was 44 and its smaller 22 yards, measured on the inside. The breastwork is 15 feet thick and the entry was covered by a redan. The interior contained a powder magazine covered with a bombproof shed of beams. This earthwork was planned to be moderinzed as part of the Third System of fortifications mounting 12 guns.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 903 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 10, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.