Lexington in Fayette County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Lexington Public Library 1905 - 1989 / A Carnegie Library
Lexington Public Library
First library west of the Alleghenies was est. in Lex. in 1795 as a subscription library. The Women's Club of Central Ky. worked for a free public library, and, in 1902, Andrew Carnegie gave $60,000 to build Lex. Public Library, which served community from 1905 to 1989. Books then given to new public library.
A Carnegie Library
Library trustee C. J. Bronston obtained $60,000 from Andrew Carnegie to build neoclassical Greek Revival structure designed by architect Herman Rowe. Transylvania Univ. allowed use of site in Gratz Park. Mary K. Bullitt was first librarian. In 1989 the Lex. Public Library moved to Main St.
Erected 2005 by Presented by the Lexington Public Library. (Marker Number 2199.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries, and the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 2.985′ N, 84° 29.764′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Kentucky, in Fayette County. Marker is on West Second Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 251 West Second St.,, Lexington KY 40507, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morgan House (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel Brown, M.D. (1769 - 1830) Hunt-Morgan House (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Clay's Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Hunt Morgan / Genetic Research (about 500 feet away); Transylvania Pavilion (about 500 feet away); School Of Medicine (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2010, by Matt Carter of Lexington, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 816 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 11, 2010, by Matt Carter of Lexington, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.