Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taneytown in Carroll County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Adam Good Tavern

 
 
Adam Good Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 27, 2004
1. Adam Good Tavern Marker
Inscription. Site of Adam Good Tavern visited by George Washington July 1st & 2nd 1791.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
 
Location. 39° 39.566′ N, 77° 10.604′ W. Marker is in Taneytown, Maryland, in Carroll County. Marker is on Frederick Street (Maryland Route 194) 0.1 miles south of Baltimore Street (Maryland Route 140), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the exterior wall of the building. Marker is in this post office area: Taneytown MD 21787, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Heart of Our Town ( within shouting distance of this marker); Zile's Ice Cream ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Everyone is Welcome ( about 500 feet away); "Steps of the Sisters" ( about 600 feet away); Everything from Bags of Flour to the President's Shoes ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Painting the Town Red ( approx. 0.2 miles away); 1st Lieutenant John E. Buffington ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Taneytown Memorial Park ( approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taneytown.
 
Regarding Adam Good Tavern. The tavern, which was probably built in the 1770s or 1780s, was
Site of the Adam Good Tavern image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 27, 2004
2. Site of the Adam Good Tavern
demolished in the 1890s.
 
Additional comments.
1. “A Dam Good Tavern”
It is said that Washington stopped at the tavern in July 1791 because he was amused that the tavern's sign seemed to say “A Dam Good Tavern.”
    — Submitted January 3, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.

 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommercePatriots & Patriotism
 
Hagan House<br>6-8 Frederick Street image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
3. Hagan House
6-8 Frederick Street
“The present building dates from 1890, when N. B. Hagan occupied the house. He had a confectionery/grocery store. The business section has served as a soda fountain/bowling alley, printing business, restaurant and antique shop. The building is a Classical Revival style in an "H" shaped plan.” -- Taneytown Walking Tour Pamphlet.
The Knocker<br>Hagan House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
4. The Knocker
Hagan House
The Cherry Tree Shoppe image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
5. The Cherry Tree Shoppe
This store occupies store front in the north side of Hagan House.
George Washington<br>Waves from the window<br>of the Cherry Tree Shoppe image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
6. George Washington
Waves from the window
of the Cherry Tree Shoppe
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,858 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 3, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Historical photograph of the tavern. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement