Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Salt Lake City in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The 18th Ward Chapel

 
 
The 18th Ward Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, August 27, 2010
1. The 18th Ward Chapel Marker
Inscription. The 18th Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, one of the original nineteen ecclesiastical wards of Salt Lake Valley, was organized Feb. 14, 1849. Early congregations consisted of families of Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, and Newell K. Whitney. Meetings were held in boweries, then Brigham Young's schoolhouse on East South Temple Street. In 1880 Don Carlos Young deeded a lot on A Street and 2nd Avenue where the original chapel, of Gothic Revival style, was built (Obed Taylor, architect). It was dedicated Jan. 14 1883 and demolished in 1973. This 18th Ward replica, dedicated June 27, 1980, remains a permanent example of early Utah Gothic architecture (Steven T. Baird, architect). The present site was acquired through an act of the Utah State legislature in 1975. Original parts salvaged and used in this replica include: steeple, cornerstone, window frames, doors, benches, pulpit, and the stained glass window.
 
Erected 1982 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers - Capital Hill Camp. (Marker Number 421.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 40° 46.539′ N, 111° 53.206′ W. Marker is in Salt Lake City, Utah, in Salt Lake
The 18th Ward Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, August 27, 2010
2. The 18th Ward Chapel
Marker is located off photo to the left.
County. Marker is at the intersection of 300 North and East Capital Boulevard, on the right when traveling east on 300 North. Touch for map. The chapel is located on the southwest corner of the intersection, adjacent to Council Hall, the Utah Visitors Information Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 150 E 300 North, Salt Lake City UT 84103, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old City Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Council Hall (about 300 feet away); The Mormon Battalion (about 300 feet away); Ottinger Hall (about 400 feet away); Lest We Forget (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ensign Peak (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Constitution Revered (approx. 0.2 miles away); Daniel Cowan Jackling (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salt Lake City.
 
Regarding The 18th Ward Chapel. The building is now the White Community Memorial Chapel, used for weddings and other special gatherings.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
The 18th Ward Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, August 27, 2010
3. The 18th Ward Chapel
The 18th Ward Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, August 31, 2010
4. The 18th Ward Chapel
Marker can be seen on the right of the photo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. This page has been viewed 744 times since then and 67 times this year. Last updated on September 13, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 2, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement