Salt Lake City in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
B'nai Israel Temple
The Congregation B'nai Israel was organized in 1881 and built a small synagogue in 1883 at First West and Third South. Following a division in the synagogue, the orthodox Congregation Montefiore built a new synagogue at 355 South Third East, and the reform B'nai Israel congregation built this temple. It was sold in the early 1970's when a new temple was built for combined local Jewish congregations. It has since housed several commercial enterprises including a restaurant and offices.
Erected 1993 by Utah State Historical Society.
Location. 40° 45.827′ N, 111° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 249 South 400 East, Salt Lake City UT 84105, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Congregation Montefiore (approx. ¼ mile away); Lone Cedar Tree (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lincoln Arms Apartments (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hollywood Apartments (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church Salt Lake City (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cathedral of the Madeleine (approx. 0.4 miles away); Modern Irrigation (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salt Lake City.
Regarding B'nai Israel Temple. This was the second permanent house of worship for Congregation B'nai Israel in Salt Lake City. The original synagogue was located at 1st West and 3rd South. This building has been converted to commercial uses and now houses the Henriksen/Butler Design Group.
This synagogue is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The first house of worship for Congregation B'nai Israel in Salt Lake City located at 1st West and 3rd South.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. This page has been viewed 973 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 16, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. 5. submitted on September 18, 2010. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.