Lexington in Fayette County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Lexington Historic Distillery District
Started in 1869 by the Headley and Farra Company. Continued by James E. Pepper & Company in 1879. In the late 1800s, the James E. Pepper Distillery sold whiskey to over 90 brokerage houses across the U.S. It sold under a number of different names & labels. In 1933, purchased by Schenley Products Corp. of NY. Presented by Lexington Directions Inc.
Water from Town Branch provided steam power and McConnell Springs provided water for the whiskey. The distillery closed in 1962. The Distillery District was a major whiskey producer for over 100 yrs. with storage capacity for 150,000 barrels of bourbon. It remained in service until 1976. Presented by Lexington Environmental Commission
Erected 2009 by Kentucky Historical Society. (Marker Number 2313.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 3.169′ N, 84° 30.563′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Kentucky, in Fayette County. Marker is on Manchester Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in front of Buster's. Marker is at or near this postal address: 899 Manchester Street, Lexington KY 40508, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Lexington Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Vertner Woodson Tandy (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Clay (approx. 0.3 miles away); Henry Clay (approx. 0.3 miles away); Todd House (approx. 0.4 miles away); A National Cemetery System (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mary Todd Lincoln House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Land (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2010, by Matt Carter of Lexington, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 1,090 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2010, by Matt Carter of Lexington, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.