Rochester in Fulton County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fulton County Courthouses
—Rochester Indiana —
The first was built in 1837 directly west of the present Courthouse. It was wooden, 24x20 feet in size and cost $750. The Second, constructed in 1847 on the Courthouse Square, was 44x60 feet, of brick in the Greek Revival style, and cost $6,000.
The present Courthouse, 111x116 feet, was completed in August, 1896, at a cost of $160,000 including furnishings and preparation of grounds. It was designed in Richardsonian Romanesque style by A. W. Rush and Son of Grand Rapids, Mich. General contractor was J. E. Gibson of Logansport. The exterior is Bedford limestone.
County commissioners in charge of the project were Asa Deweese of Liberty Township, Nathaniel Dudgeon of Richland Township and Thomas Lovatt of Rochester Township. The cornerstone was laid September 19, 1895, by the Grand Master of the Indiana masonic Lodge. It is found at the northeast corner of the second floor.
The 10 stone figures of guardian lions that surround the building are unique among the many Indiana courthouses constructed in the 19th century. They were carved on site by a stonecutter from Germany, Hedrick, who brought along his 10 year-old son as interpreter.
In 1962 the Courthouse Square was landscaped with trees
Erected 1995 by Courthouse Centennial Celebration.
Location. 41° 3.933′ N, 86° 12.916′ W. Marker is in Rochester, Indiana, in Fulton County. Marker is on Main Street north of East 9th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located on the exterior of the West Entrance (inner edge) of the Fulton County Courthouse in Rochester, Indiana. Marker is in this post office area: Rochester IN 46975, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Revolutionary War Memorial (here, next to this marker); W. W. I War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Potawatomi "Trail of Death" (within shouting distance of this marker); Honor Roll - Fulton County Indiana (within shouting distance of this marker); The Underground Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Rochester College (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward J. Fansler Pathways (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of Indian Village Chippewa-Nung (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rochester.
Also see . . . Virtual Tour ( Courtesy - - Indiana Government web page). (Submitted on February 13, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 883 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on September 18, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 10, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. 10. submitted on January 8, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.