Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Fort Martin Scott
December 5, 1848
as a protection to travelers and
settlers against Indian attack.
Named in honor of Major Martin Scott,
Brevet Lieutenant Colonel,
5th United States Infantry,
killed at Molino del Rey,
September 8, 1847.
Its garrison participated in many
Occupied intermittently after 1852,
held by the Confederates, 1861-1865,
permanently abandoned in December, 1866.
Erected by the State of Texas
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 10039.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 14.999′ N, 98° 50.85′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker can be reached from East Main Street (U.S. 290) south of Industial Loop. Touch for map. Marker is east of the highway at the entrance to the Gillespie County Fort Martin Scott Park/Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1606 East Main Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow The Easter Fires (approx. 1.3 miles away); Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Kloth-Ludwig Home (approx. 1.8 miles away); Mueller-Petmecky House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Walch Home (approx. 1.9 miles away); Nimitz Hotel (approx. 1.9 miles away); Main Mast from Destroyer USS Foote (DD-511) (approx. 2 miles away); Fairwater of USS Pintado (SS-387) (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Martin Scott. ... During the Civil War the fort had no strategic position. Except as a possible site of a Confederate mustering station to serve notice against the populace of Gillespie County who had voted against secession, the Confederate Army did not occupy Fort Martin Scott. In September 1866 Gen. Philip H. Sheridan ordered elements of the Fourth United States Cavalry to Fort Martin Scott to secure the frontier once again from possible Indian depredations. By the end of 1866 the fort was finally abandoned by military units. ... (Submitted on September 19, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Fort Martin Scott. (Submitted on September 19, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. U.S. National
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,698 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on February 23, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. 5, 6. submitted on September 27, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.