Fond du Lac in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Pioneer Military Road
to Fort Crawford, Prairie du Chien
Col. C. K. Pier Circle
Ladies of G. A. R.
Erected 1931 by Col. C. K. Pier Circle Ladies of G. A. R.
Location. 43° 46.159′ N, 88° 27.418′ W. Marker is in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, in Fond du Lac County. Marker is at the intersection of South Military Road and West 9th Street on South Military Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fond du Lac WI 54935, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Military Road (approx. half a mile away); Union Soldiers Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wisconsin Progressive Party (approx. 0.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pier Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Pier Cemetery 1838 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fond du Lac County Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); County Home Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fond du Lac.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Additional markers on and about the Wisconsin Military Road.
Also see . . . Military Roads: Early Road Development. "During Wisconsin's territorial period, the federal government found it expedient to develop a system of military roads to transport supplies and mail between forts established for frontier defense. The first military road in Wisconsin was built between 1835-1838 by garrisons stationed at Fort Howard (Green Bay), Fort Winnebago (Portage), and Fort Crawford (Prairie du Chien) to link the forts." (Submitted on June 15, 2010.)
Categories. • Military • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 871 times since then. Last updated on September 21, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 15, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.