Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Dearborn Inn / Colonial Homes and Adjacent Buildings

 
 
The Dearborn Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Darrell Harden, July 15, 2008
1. The Dearborn Inn Marker
Inscription.
The Dearborn Inn
Henry Ford built the Dearborn Inn in 1931 to accommodate overnight travelers arriving at the Ford Airport. Located opposite the inn on Oakwood Boulevard, the airport opened in 1924. The 179-room inn, designed by Albert Kahn, was the world's first airport hotel. The Georgian-style structure features a crystal-chandeliered ballroom and high ceilings. Its rooms are decorated with reproductions of furniture and fabrics of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The guest quarters along Pilots Row originally were used by the airline's crews. The inn and the adjacent colonial homes reflect Henry Ford's fondness for American history.

Colonial Homes and Adjacent Buildings
In 1937 the Dearborn Inn's accommodations were expanded with replicas of historically famous homes. Constructed on this twenty-three-acre wooded complex, the additions included the Barbara Fritchie House, the Patrick Henry House, the Oliver Wolcott House, the Edgar Allen Poe House and the Walt Whitman House. The homes are furnished with brass candlesticks on the mantles, English shaving mirrors, brass or pencil four-poster beds, traditional lighting fixtures and Dutch doors. In 1933 the dormitory building was added to house the inn's employees. It served this purpose until 1961. The fifty-four-unit
Colonial Homes and Adjacent Buildings Marker image. Click for full size.
By Darrell Harden, July 15, 2008
2. Colonial Homes and Adjacent Buildings Marker
Motor House was completed in 1960.
 
Erected 1983 by State of Michigan. (Marker Number L1070.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 17.823′ N, 83° 13.669′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on Oakwood Boulevard half a mile west of Rotunda Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20301 Oakwood Blvd, Dearborn MI 48124, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ford Airport / Ford Tri-Motor (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village (approx. half a mile away); Daggett Farmhouse (approx. half a mile away); Edison Homestead (approx. half a mile away); Noah Webster Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Thomas Edisonís Menlo Park Office and Library (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wright Cycle Shop (approx. 0.6 miles away); Armington & Sims Machine Shop (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Barbara Fritchie and Oliver Wolcott, Jr original homes.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyLandmarksNotable Buildings
 
The Dearborn Inn / Colonial Homes and Adjacent Buildings Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 10, 2010
3. The Dearborn Inn / Colonial Homes and Adjacent Buildings Marker
The Dearborn Inn image. Click for full size.
By Al Barrera, January 2, 2009
4. The Dearborn Inn
The Barbara Fritchie House (1766-1862) image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 11, 2010
5. The Barbara Fritchie House (1766-1862)
Barbara Fritchie's long patriotic life was spent in the original of the home which was located in Frederick, Maryland. At 95 she waved the Union flag from her chamber window as the Confederates rode through town. A reproduction of the flag hangs from her bedroom window adding another touch of authenticity to her home behind the Inn, She lived in this simple dwelling from 1806 until her death in 1862.
The Patrick Henry House (1736 - 1799) image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 11, 2010
6. The Patrick Henry House (1736 - 1799)
The sign in front of the house states:
The Patrick Henry House is a reproduction of his home in Red Hill, Virginia, which he purchased in 1794. Henry served as a delegate to the First Continental Congress, led the colonial military to victory over the British and was twice the governor of Virginia. Patrick Henry was known as a champion of liberty and gained lasting popularity with his famous "Give me Liberty or give me Death" speech.
The Oliver Wolcott House (1726 - 1797) image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 11, 2010
7. The Oliver Wolcott House (1726 - 1797)
The sign in front of the house states:
The house of Governor Oliver Wolcott is a replica of one built in Litchfield, Connecticut, in 1754. He served as a representative to the Connecticut State Legislature, a member of the Senate and a member of the Second Continental Congress. He was a signer the Declaration of Independence and a general in the Revolutionary War. Wolcott became lieutenant governor of Connecticut and later served as the State's governor.
The Edgar Allan Poe House (1809 - 1849) image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 11, 2010
8. The Edgar Allan Poe House (1809 - 1849)
The sign in front of the house states:
The Edgar Allan Poe Cottage is a replica of Poe's home at Fordham in New York City, where the area was quiet countryside at that time. Today it is located on 192nd Street in New York City. Poe lived in this house for three years and wrote "The Bells", "Annable Lee", "Ulalume" and "Eureka" there. One can picture him writing in the parlor near the open warmth of the fire in winter.
The Walt Whitman House (1819 - 1892) image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 11, 2010
9. The Walt Whitman House (1819 - 1892)
The sign in front of the house states:
The Walt Whitman house is a replica of his birthplace, circa 1675, the original of which was located in what is now Melville on Long Island. Walt Whitman is often regarded as the most significant if not the greatest American poet. Whitman used a new writing technique in which he personalized himself and attempted to involve the reader in writings such as "Leaves of Grass" and "Drum Taps"
Dormitory Building image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 10, 2010
10. Dormitory Building
Dr. William Holmes McGuffey Motor Lodge image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 10, 2010
11. Dr. William Holmes McGuffey Motor Lodge
Luther Burbank Motor Lodge image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 10, 2010
12. Luther Burbank Motor Lodge
The Dearborn Inn is listed in the National Register of Historic Places image. Click for full size.
By Darrell Harden, July 15, 2008
13. The Dearborn Inn is listed in the National Register of Historic Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2009, by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. This page has been viewed 3,700 times since then and 57 times this year. Last updated on September 21, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 6, 2009, by Darrell Harden of Schoolcraft, Michigan.   3. submitted on August 11, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.   4. submitted on January 2, 2009, by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan.   5. submitted on August 30, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.   6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on September 21, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.   13. submitted on January 6, 2009, by Darrell Harden of Schoolcraft, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement