Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
William Hooper Councill High School Site
Founded in 1867 in the basement of Lakeside Methodist Episcopal Church on Jefferson Street, the school was moved to a frame building on this site in 1892. The first diplomas were granted in 1912. A brick structure replaced the original building in 1927.
The school was closed due to integration, graduating its last class in 1966.
Erected 1993 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 43.307′ N, 86° 35.321′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on St. Clair Avenue 0.1 miles east of Monroe Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker and school building are located next door to the Huntsville-Madison County Public Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 620 St. Clair Avenue, Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Baptist Church Huntsville, Alabama (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); C.B. "Bill" Miller Bridge Thrasher Memorial Fountain (approx. 0.3 miles away); Norwegian Light Beacon And Fog Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Bartley Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the Huntsville Slave Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Fifth Avenue School (approx. half a mile away); Huntsville (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
According to Historical Markers of Madison County, the marker was sponsored by the Councill Alumni and the City of Huntsville, and was dedicated 27 March 1994.
— Submitted September 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,883 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on September 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 5, 6. submitted on October 4, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.