Cranbury in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1840, a water-powered sawmill was erected next to the gristmill but both were destroyed by fire, rebuilt and razed again by fire. After an 1860 blaze, the gristmill was rebuilt and a miller's house was erected south of the mill, at 6 South Main Street. Serving as Cranbury's Police Station from 1968 to 1985, the miller's house is now maintained by the Cranbury Historical and Preservation Society as the Cranbury History Center. In 1939, the inactive gristmill was demolished and the area was named Memorial Park, dedicated in 1949 to Cranbury Veterans of World War I and subsequent wars.
Erected 2009 by Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
Location. 40° 18.541′ N, 74° 31.019′ W. Marker is in Cranbury, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and Evans Drive, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Located at the Cranbury History Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 South Main Street, Cranbury NJ 08512, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Encampment (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cranbury Dam (about 300 feet away); The First Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Site of House of Dr. Hezekiah Stites (approx. ¼ mile away); Todd Beamer (approx. 0.3 miles away); Parsonage Barn (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Second Presbyterian Church of Cranbury (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hightstown (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cranbury.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 555 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. 4, 5. submitted on September 24, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.