Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Governorís Mansion
The ten governors who occupied The Mansion were George R. Gilmer, Charles J. McDonald, George W. Crawford, George W. Towns, Howell Cobb, Herschel V. Johnson, Joseph E. Brown, James Johnson, Charles J. Jenkins and Brigadier-General Thomas H. Ruger. The last held office under orders of General George H. Meade. In November 1864, The Mansion served briefly as General William T. Shermanís headquarters.
In 1868 the capital was moved from Milledgeville to Atlanta. Since 1890 The Mansion has been the home of Georgia College presidents. The two lower floors are open to the public.
Erected 1968 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-1B.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 4.778′ N, 83° 13.91′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 South Clark Street, Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Old Governor's Mansion (a few steps from this marker); State College (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tomlinson Fort House (about 700 feet away); Dr Charles Holmes Herty Statesman -Chemist (about 700 feet away); Birthplace of Charles Holmes Herty (about 700 feet away); De Soto in Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baldwin County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Allen Strain (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Regarding Old Governorís Mansion. John Linley, in his definitive book, Architecture of Middle Georgia The Oconee Area, classifies The Old Governor's Mansion as "Of National Importance."
Categories. • Government • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,449 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 24, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.