Croom in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Thomas’ Parish Church
Successor to the 17th century Anglican Church at Mount Calvert, this cruciform, brick church was authorized in 1732 and completed in 1745 during the rectorate of John Eversfield, 1728-1780. Built by Daniel Page it served as chapel of ease for the northern part of St. Paul's Parish, Prince George's County, until 1850. Since 1850 it has been parish church of St. Thomas' Parish, Prince George's County.
Victorianized in the 1850/s it was partially restored following the detailed original contract 1955-58. Thomas John Claggett, first Bishop of Maryland, lived near here and served as priest in this church. Members of the Lord Proprietor's family are buried here. Always open for prayer and worship, the blessed sacrament has been continuously reserved for many years.
Erected by Vestry of St. Thomas' Parish, Prince George's County, Maryland Historical Society.
Location. 38° 44.895′ N, 76° 45.547′ W. Marker is in Croom, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Thomas Church Road and Croom Road (Route 382), on the left when traveling east on St. Thomas Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is on the church grounds, about 200 feet east of the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Enemy Bluff (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Simon's Episcopal Mission (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Simon's Mission, 1896 (about 700 feet away); Croom (approx. ¾ mile away); Bellefields (approx. one mile away); Shaded Reprieve (approx. 2½ miles away); Columbia Air Center (approx. 2.7 miles away); Aviation History (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Croom.
Also see . . .
1. St, Thomas Church. in the Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties (Submitted on February 17, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
2. History of St. Thomas Parish. (Submitted on February 17, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,263 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 17, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on April 27, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3. submitted on September 7, 2013, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 4. submitted on November 17, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on February 17, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.