Roscoe Village in Coshocton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Underground Railroad Agents in Coshocton County / Muskingum River Underground Railroad Corridor
The acknowledged host of the Underground Railroad in Coshocton County was Prior Foster, a well respected African American who lodged fugitive slaves in his shanty at Harbaugh Corner. He fed, sheltered, and clothed them and then accompanied them to the ferry to cross the Muskingum River to Hanging Rock. There they would remain hidden until they could be safely forwarded north. Virginians knew about the Underground Railroad at Roscoe Village. Slave owners and bounty hunters lurked there in search of fugitives. Other leading Underground Railroad operators in Coshocton County were James Luther, William Boyd, William Elliott, Samuel Weir, Mr. and Mrs. William M. Johnson, Eli Nichols, Reverend Alexander Campbell and his son Charles, Ebenezer Seward, John F. Shannon, Benjamin Waite, Thomas Powell, and Ebenezer Bigham.
The Muskingum River forms at the confluence of the Tuscarawas and Walhonding rivers at Roscoe Village and flows south approximately 100 miles to the Ohio River at Marietta. During the first half of the nineteenth century, fugitive slaves from Virginia crossed the Ohio River and followed Underground Railroad lines north toward Canada. Four Underground Railroad lines converged in Roscoe Village on the Muskingum River. The first followed the river north out of Marietta through Rainbow
Erected 2009 by Belpre Historical Society, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-16.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 16.875′ N, 81° 52.565′ W. Marker is in Roscoe Village, Ohio, in Coshocton County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 495 and State Route 16, on the right when traveling west on County Road 495. Touch for map. The marker is situated in front and to the left of the Roscoe Village Foundation building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 North Whitewoman Street, Coshocton OH 43812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Visitor Center - 1992 (within shouting distance of this marker); Village Smithy - c.1890 Hay Craft and Learning Center - 1987 (about 400 feet away); Daniel Carroll House - c.1850 (about 500 feet away); George LeRetilley House - 1853 (about 600 feet away); Jacob Welsh House - c.1840 (about 700 feet away); Old Warehouse (about 700 feet away); William Roscoe Building - 1840 (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Underground Railroad agent Prior Foster, along with his brothers, Joseph and Levi, founded Woodstock Manual Labor Institute in 1846 in Woodstock Township, Lenawee County, Michigan.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,635 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.