Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stoughton in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Stoughton

 
 
Stoughton Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, September 25, 2010
1. Stoughton Marker
Inscription. Stoughton was founded by Luke Stoughton in 1847. The first settlers were Yankees from New England.

Waves of Norwegians immigrated to the community during the late 19th century to make Stoughton America's Norwegian capital, home of lutefisk and "Syttende Mai."

Stoughton's economy has leaned heavily on agriculture. Wheat farming was important in the beginning. Later Norwegian farmers made Stoughton a great tobacco growing and warehousing center. Women who sorted tobacco in the warehouses inaugurated the national coffee break custom. The manufacture of wagons was pioneered by Targe Mandt in 1865 and at the turn of the century Stoughton's wagon factories were nationally famous shipping 33 thousand vehicles per year and employing 1000 men.

The present Stoughton Historical Museum was built as the city's first church by Universalists in 1858.
 
Erected 1965 by Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 7.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 42° 54.964′ N, 89° 13.424′ W. Marker is in Stoughton, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of South Page Street and West
Stoughton Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, September 25, 2010
2. Stoughton Marker
The Stoughton Historical Museum is on the right.
Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south on South Page Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 324 South Page Street, Stoughton WI 53589, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Main Street Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); East Park Historic District (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert Marion La Follette, Sr. (approx. 3.5 miles away); Bovre Congregation (approx. 3.9 miles away); Yahara River (approx. 4.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Seasons of Fish Camp (approx. 5 miles away); Carp for sale (approx. 5 miles away); Too many carp (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stoughton.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker also mentions the Mandt Wagon Company
 
Also see . . .
1. Stoughton Historical Society. (Submitted on September 28, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
2. Stoughton Chamber of Commerce. (Submitted on September 29, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
3. City of Stoughton. (Submitted on September 29, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Stoughton Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, September 25, 2010
3. Stoughton Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 578 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement