Reserve in Catron County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Located in the San Francisco Valley, Reserve was named upper San Francisco Plaza by its original Hispanic settlers in 1874. The name was later changed to Reserve in recognition of the U.S. Forest Service headquarters located here. Apaches made frequent attacks on the community, which lay within Apache hunting lands.
Location. 33° 42.833′ N, 108° 45.586′ W. Marker is in Reserve, New Mexico, in Catron County. Marker is on State Road 12 at milepost 7, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Reserve NM 87830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elfego Baca (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Reserve (approx. 6 miles away).
Regarding Reserve. Reserve is the County Seat of Catron County which has a land area that encompasses 6,898 square miles. More than half the land is designated as one of three national forests: Gila, Cibola, and Apache. This county is New Mexico's largest county (area wise) with a population of less than 4,000 people.
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 618 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.