Horsehead in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1879 Centennial 1979
(Built 1879- Burned, Rebuilt 1896)
Located on early colonial survey line - "The Golden Race" - patented to Thomas Greenfield by Lord Baltimore in 1695. One of the earliest Methodist congregations in America. Formerly Smith's Meeting House 1794-1839 and Emory Chapel 1840-1879. Part of Prince George's circuit. Bishop Francis Asbury preached at the meeting house in March 1813.
Erected 1979 by Prince George's County Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 38° 39.07′ N, 76° 46.302′ W. Marker is in Horsehead, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Aquasco Road (Maryland Route 381) 0.1 miles north of Horsehead Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brandywine MD 20613, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Home of Dr. Samuel Mudd (approx. 4 miles away); Dr. Samuel A. Mudd (approx. 4 miles away); John Wilkes Booth (approx. 4 miles away); Dr. Samuel A. Mudd House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Up in Flames (approx. 4.3 miles away); Woodville School (approx. 4.7 miles away); Town Ravaged (approx. 4.8 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 972 times since then and 25 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 18, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.