Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Springerville in Apache County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Becker's Transcontinental Garage

1910

 
 
Becker's Transcontinental Garage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 19, 2010
1. Becker's Transcontinental Garage Marker
Inscription. The oldest continuously operated Ford dealership west of the Mississippi began in the west building in 1910. A pathfinding auto trip blazed the first "ocean to ocean highway" through here.
 
Erected 2003 by Round Valley Positive Action Tourism Committee and Springerville-Eagar Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 27.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Arizona, Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour marker series.
 
Location. 34° 8.002′ N, 109° 17.082′ W. Marker is in Springerville, Arizona, in Apache County. Marker is on East Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 132 East Main Street, Springerville AZ 85938, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Madonna of the Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Presbyterian & Catholic Churchs (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baca Home (about 500 feet away); Arizona Cooperative Mercantile Institution (about 500 feet away); El Rio Theatre (about 500 feet away); James Hale Shooting
Becker's Transcontinental Garage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 19, 2010
2. Becker's Transcontinental Garage Marker
The bricks used for the eastern side addition of the building are Gallup Brick, fired in Gallup, New Mexico and were most often used in fireplaces and chimneys.
(about 500 feet away); Baldonado Home (about 800 feet away); White Mountain Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springerville.
 
More about this marker. The Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour Brochure instructs visitors to park in the lot behind Becker Park and walk to this marker and the Madonna of the Trail Monument.
 
Regarding Becker's Transcontinental Garage. This site is Marker Stop #27 on the Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historical Driving Tour.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Becker's Transcontinental Garage image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 19, 2010
3. Becker's Transcontinental Garage
Marker is ingraved on a stone base seen between the two sections of the building.

The year that A.L. Westgard made the first coast to coast automobile trip the Becker family opened the first garage in Round Valley. Always alert to new business opportunities the Beckers built the west building with a native sandstone façade and adobe walls to house an auto business. In 1914 Edward Becker, son of pioneer merchant Gustav Becker, received his Ford Motor Company franchise to sell Model-T Fords and the oldest, continuously operated Ford dealership west of the Mississippi River was born. In 1915 the garage became Becker’s Transcontinental Garage. In 1927 – 1928 Becker Motors expanded with the new addition.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,240 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on October 1, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 29, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement