Hanover in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Good Place for a Halt
Washington to Rochambeau
On August 27 and 28, 1781, a 5,000-man French Army under General Count Rochambeau encamped on grounds extending northeast from here toward the Whippany River. After resting, they marched rapidly southward, in parallel with American troops led by General George Washington, to Yorktown, Virginia. There, on October 19, 1781, the combined armies forced surrender of British General Lord Cornwallis in the final major battle of the American Revolution.
Hanover Township Committee
Ronald F. Francioli, Mayor
Leonard A. Fariello Judy Iradi
Howard M. Olsen John R. Tort, Jr.
Linda A. Schramm, Chair
Robert A. Augelli Barbara E. Blumenfeld
Mary Lou Cirello Barbara Thompson Howell
Donald B. Kiddoo Russell W. Polo
Larry L. Sampson
Dedicated September 30, 2006
Erected 2006 by Township of Hanover.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Washington-Rochambeau Route marker series.
Location. 40° 48.988′ N, 74° 25.417′ W. Marker is in Hanover, New Jersey, in Morris Touch for map. Marker is located on Whippany Road, between Vincent Terrace and Eden Lane. Marker is in this post office area: Whippany NJ 07981, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Lady of Mercy Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Melville Mill (approx. half a mile away); Village of Whippany (approx. half a mile away); The Old Iron Works (approx. 0.7 miles away); 56-Delaware, Lackawanna & Western R.R. (approx. ¾ mile away); Earle Richard Henriquez-Gil, Sr. (approx. ¾ mile away); Pennsylvania Railroad “Watch Box” (approx. ¾ mile away); Pennsylvania Railroad Standard Telephone Booth (approx. ¾ mile away).
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 2, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.