River Edge in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Borough of River Edge
Sections were once known as Kindermack, Steenrapie, Old Bridge and New Bridge. George Washington, in 1776, retreated across New Bridge and the hill above was fortified by the British in 1778. In 1780 the Americans encamped in town with the HQ of Gen. Washington at New Bridge. Incorporated as the Borough of Riverside in 1894, the name was changed in 1930 to River Edge. The Borough Hall, home of former Mayor Elmer Howell, was enlarged and renovated in 1941.
Erected 1994 by Bergen County Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 55.93′ N, 74° 2.052′ W. Marker is in River Edge, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Tenney Avenue and Kindermkerack, on the right when traveling west on Tenney Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located next to the River Edge Borough Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 705 Kindermkerack Road, River Edge NJ 07661, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Demarest-Bloomer House Jacobus Demarest Homestead (approx. half a mile away); French Burying Ground (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of the French Church and Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Washington Spring (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Washington Spring (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Spring Valley Burial Ground (approx. 1.1 miles away); Richard T. Cooper House (approx. 1.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on October 3, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 751 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.