Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Berkeley Municipal Pier
This pier, constructed by the Golden Gate Ferry Company under a 1926 franchise from the City, now extends from the Berkeley Marina, which was built on landfill out into the Bay well beyond the original shoreline. It is a reminder of the earliest urban settlement in Berkeley and a time when goods and people were transported mainly by water. The pier accommodated ferries that carried cars across San Francisco Bay. After big events in Berkeley, such as football games at the University of California, hundreds of cars would back up for hours waiting to board the ferry back to San Francisco. After the Bay Bridge was completed and opened to automobile traffic in 1936 the pier was converted to recreational use, including fishing. Approximately 3,000 feet of the original 3.5 mile length of the pier remain in usable condition.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
Erected 2003 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berkeley CA 94710, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spenger’s Fish Grotto (approx. one mile away); Harpoon Cannon (approx. one mile away); Delaware Street Historic District (approx. 1.1 miles away); Workingman’s Hall (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bowen’s Inn/Higgins Grocery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of Pump House - Peet Brothers/Colgate Palmolive (approx. 1.2 miles away); Church of the Good Shepherd (approx. 1.3 miles away); Philadelphia Quartz Company (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a low rock just a few steps to the south of the foot of the Berkeley Municipal Pier.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,084 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 4, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.