Taycheedah in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Toll Gate on the Military Trail
1835 – January 10, 1916.
Erected by Fond du Lac Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1932
Erected 1932 by the Fond du Lac Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 43° 48.407′ N, 88° 24.038′ W. Marker is in Taycheedah, Wisconsin, in Fond du Lac County. Marker is on Winnebago Drive 0.2 miles south of County Highway K, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at a wayside. Marker is in this post office area: Fond du Lac WI 54935, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of Governor James Duane Doty (approx. one mile away); G. A. R. Memorial Drive (approx. 2.4 miles away); Locomotive No. 2714 (approx. 2.4 miles away); Spanish–American War Memorial (approx. 2½ miles away); Edward S. Bragg (approx. 2.6 miles away); Supple's Marsh (approx. 3.1 miles away); Wisconsin Progressive Party (approx. 3.1 miles away); Union Soldiers Monument (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Military Roads: Early Road Development. "During Wisconsin's territorial period, the federal government found it expedient to develop a system of military roads to transport supplies and mail between forts established for frontier defense. The first military road in Wisconsin was built between 1835-1838 by garrisons stationed at Fort Howard (Green Bay), Fort Winnebago (Portage), and Fort Crawford (Prairie du Chien) to link the forts." (Submitted on November 18, 2007.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,521 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 18, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.