Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Show Low in Navajo County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Showlow Valley Settlement

 
 
Showlow Valley Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 24, 2010
1. Showlow Valley Settlement Marker
Inscription. In 1870 Corydon E. Cooley, a government scout and Marion Clark entered this valley and located ranches. Cooley built a log house on the hill. By 1876 many families came, including Alfred Cluff, David E. Adams, Thomas W. Adair, Heber Dalton and others. The settlement was called "Cooley", later changed to Showlow. Homes were built, acres planted to grain and people prospered. A post office was established in 1880 with Cooley as postmaster. A fort protected the people from Indians. Wm. Penrod built a shingle mill. In 1884 the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints organized a Ward with Hans Hansen as Bishop.
 
Erected 1959 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers - Cooley Camp, Apache County, Arizona. (Marker Number 250.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 34° 15.176′ N, 110° 1.846′ W. Marker is in Show Low, Arizona, in Navajo County. Marker is at the intersection of North 11th Street and East Cooley Street, on the left when traveling north on North 11th Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the L.D.S. Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North 11th Street, Show Low AZ 85901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Showlow Valley Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 24, 2010
2. Showlow Valley Settlement Marker
At least 4 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "show low and you win the ranch". (within shouting distance of this marker); Lakeside (approx. 7.4 miles away); Rodeo-Chediski Fire (approx. 8 miles away); Shumway Schoolhouse (approx. 10.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The Arizona Memory Project. Showlow began as a ranch claimed by Marion Clark and Corydon Cooley. Virgin ponderosa pine forests surrounded the valley. This area had water, provided by a creek, which allowed irrigation and cattle to graze on the lush grass. (Submitted on October 9, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Showlow Valley Settlement Bell image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 21, 2016
3. Showlow Valley Settlement Bell
The attached metal plate reads:
Respect the past
Enhance the present
Bless the future
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 718 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.   3. submitted on June 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement