Mt. Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Chapel. The Horlbecks developed the brick yard into a major enterprise. From 1850 to 1860, twenty five million bricks were produced at a profit of $170,000. The brick yard operated throughout the nineteenth century and was later known as the Horlbeck Brick and Tile Company. The facility consisted of several kilns, workshops, drying areas, a brick lined cistern, a commissary, and a steam boiler. The boilerís brick chimney stands today.
Location. 32° 51.342′ N, 79° 48.138′ W. Marker is in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29466, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured Sweetgrass Baskets (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Lines (approx. one mile away); Snee Farm (approx. one mile away); Cook's Old Field Cemetery / Copahee Plantation and Hamlin Beach (approx. one mile away); Christ Church (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Christ Church (approx. one mile away); Shell Rings and Shell Middens (approx. 1.2 miles away); Charles Pinckney - Statesman (approx. 1Ĺ miles away).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2010. This page has been viewed 713 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 7, 2010. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.