Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mt. Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Darby Building

 
 
Darby Building Marker image. Click for full size.
1. Darby Building Marker
Inscription. This building was constructed in 1884 as the Berkeley County Courthouse. Mount Pleasant served as the Berkeley County seat from 1883 to 1895, when the town rejoined Charleston County. The old courthouse, named in 1991 for former Mayor G. Magrath Darby Jr., has been used for newspaper offices, a school, seminary, Baptist church and Town Hall.
 
Location. 32° 47.135′ N, 79° 52.461′ W. Marker is in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Carr Street, on the right when traveling north on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. War of 1812 Encampment (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Cemetery / Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Laing School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Friendship A.M.E. Church (about 400 feet away); Patjens Post Office (about 400 feet away); "Storm of the Century" (about 600 feet away); Ronkin's Long Room / Ferry Service (about 600 feet away); The Old Village (approx. 0.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Government
 
Darby Building & Marker image. Click for full size.
October 6, 2010
2. Darby Building & Marker
Darby Building image. Click for full size.
3. Darby Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2010. This page has been viewed 336 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2010. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement