Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockville in Parke County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Parke County Museum

 
 
Parke County Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, November 18, 2007
1. Parke County Museum Marker
Inscription. This Museum Building built in 1839 first used as a seminary; an armory during the Civil War, a school for negro children from 1873-1924, later a gas station, a restaurant, and gift shop.
Purchased in 1975 by Parke Co. Historical Society.
 
Erected 1975. (Marker Number 61.1975.1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 45.741′ N, 87° 14.001′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Indiana, in Parke County. Marker is on West Ohio Street (U.S. 36), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located on West Ohio Street (U.S. 36) two blocks east of South Lincoln Road (U.S. 41). Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 West Ohio Street, Rockville IN 47872, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rockville Chautauqua Pavilion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Two Bells molded into One Bell (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Korea (approx. mile away); Honor Roll (approx. mile away); Viet-Nam Honor Roll (approx.
Parke County Museum and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, November 18, 2007
2. Parke County Museum and Marker
mile away); World War Memorial (approx. mile away); Naming of Rockville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Juliet V. Strauss (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
 
Also see . . .  Tour Inside Museum. (Submitted on November 30, 2007, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkCivil RightsEducationNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2007, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,515 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2007, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement