Malden in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Malden Spanish War Veterans Monument
[ front ]
Spanish War Veterans
1898 - 1902
[ back ]
The City of Malden
To Her Sons
Who on Land and Sea Defended
The Nation's Honor in the War
With Spain, the Insurrection in
The Philippines and the China
Relief Expedition 1898 – 1902
Dedicated November 20, 1938
Under the Auspices Of
Col. Moses B. Lakeman Camp No. 44
United Spanish War Veterans
City Government Memorial Committee
Hon. John D. Devir, Mayor
Thomas L. Fitzmaurice, Chairman • Albert E. Barnes
Frank A. Tracy • William M. Steed • Timothy P. Duffy • Louis H. Glaser, Ex-Officio
United Spanish War Veterans Committee
Frederick M. Loring, P.D.C., Chairman • Maj. Gen. Henry C. Bacon. P.C. • Com. James S. Deacon, P.C. • Col. C. David Berg • Walter F. Jones, P.C. • Frank A. McAllister, P.C. • Coun. Louis E. Winchell, Honorary
Erected 1938 by Col. Moses B. Lakeman Camp No. 44, United Spanish War Veterans.
Location. 42° 25.607′ N, 71° 4.85′ W. Marker is in Malden, Massachusetts Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Malden MA 02148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harris Delta (within shouting distance of this marker); Molyneaux Circle (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Peter Tufts (Cradock) House (approx. 1.2 miles away); “Jingle Bells” Composed Here (approx. 1.6 miles away); Captain Isaac Hall Hitching Post (approx. 1.6 miles away); Royall House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Mystic Congregational Church Bell (approx. 1.8 miles away); Cuba China Philippines (approx. 1.9 miles away).
More about this marker. This bronze sculpture known as "The Hiker" was erected on November 20, 1938 and unveiled 40 years after the Spanish American War. It was created by Alice Ruggles, designer of at least 50 military monuments nationwide.
Categories. • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 769 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 10, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.