Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tabernacle Township in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Speedwell

 
 
Speedwell Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Intile, May 8, 2011
1. Speedwell Marker
Inscription.
Saw Mill
Built by Daniel Randolph, 1770.
Furnace and forge by
Benjamin Randolph, 1773.
Log house standing until 1948,
also a log schoolhouse here.

 
Erected by Tabernacle Township.
 
Location. 39° 45.848′ N, 74° 32.674′ W. Marker is in Tabernacle Township, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Friendship-Speedwell Road and Hawkins-Speedwell Road, on the left when traveling west on Friendship-Speedwell Road. Touch for map. The town no longer exists. Marker is in this post office area: Chatsworth NJ 08019, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Chatsworth Honor Roll (approx. 3.6 miles away); Monument (approx. 4.8 miles away); Carranza Memorial (approx. 4.8 miles away); Site of Stamping Mill (approx. 7.4 miles away); A Limited Resource (approx. 8.1 miles away); Site of African M.E. Church (approx. 8.9 miles away); Indian Ann (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tabernacle Township.
 
Also see . . .  Thomas Jefferson's desk, 1776. (Submitted on May 27, 2011, by John Intile of Toms River, New Jersey.)
 
Additional comments.
Speedwell Marker in vacant area where the town once existed. image. Click for full size.
By Deb Hartshorn, October 10, 2010
2. Speedwell Marker in vacant area where the town once existed.

1. Benjamin Randolph
Benjamin Randolph was one of the foremost cabinetmakers, gilders, and carvers in colonial America. Born in Monmouth County, New Jersey, he moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, before beginning his career. He sold all sorts of cabinet and chair work at his shop at the sign of the Golden Eagle, on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia. Thomas Jefferson lodged with him at his house on Chestnut Street while attending the Second Continental Congress in 1775 and 1776. Jefferson subsequently moved to the Graff House, where he wrote the Declaration of Independence, in May of 1776. According to Jefferson, Randolph made the desk on which Jefferson composed the Declaration.
    — Submitted May 11, 2011, by John Intile of Toms River, New Jersey.

 
Categories. EducationIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 647 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 10, 2010, by John Intile of Toms River, New Jersey.   2. submitted on October 10, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement