Near Conway in Horry County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Coastal Carolina University
Coastal Carolina University was founded in 1954 as Coastal Carolina Junior College, holding evening classes in Conway High School 1954-1963. Its first enrollment numbered 53 students. Originally sponsored by the College of Charleston 1954-1958, the junior college became a branch of the University of S.C. in 1960.
Coastal Carolina Junior College moved here in 1963 on the completion of its first building, later named for Edward M. Singleton, chancellor 1963-1983. As Coastal Carolina College, it began offering four-year degrees in 1974. In 1993 Coastal Carolina University became an independent state university.
Erected 2009 by Coastal Carolina University. (Marker Number 26-23.)
Location. 33° 47.607′ N, 79° 0.662′ W. Marker is near Conway, South Carolina, in Horry County. Marker is at the intersection of James P. Blanton Circle and College Boulevard (South Carolina Highway 26-953), in the median on James P. Blanton Circle. Touch for map. Marker is located on the university campus in James Blanton Circle off University Blvd. Marker is in this post office area: Conway SC 29526, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as Centennial Time Capsule (approx. 3˝ miles away); Kingston-Conway / Robert Conway (approx. 3˝ miles away); Kingston Church (approx. 3˝ miles away); Peter Horry / Horry County (approx. 3˝ miles away); The Historic Brick for this Park (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Wade Hampton Oak (approx. 3.7 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Conway High School (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conway.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 963 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.