Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Hickman County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

“Gibraltar of the West”

 
 
"Gibraltar of the West" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 4, 2010
1. "Gibraltar of the West" Marker
Inscription. Troops under Gen. Leonidas Polk fortified strategic line of bluffs here Sept. 3, 1861 marking CSA's first move in Ky. To prevent passage of Union gunboats, a huge chain was stretched across the Mississippi River. After Union success in Tenn., CSA evacuated on Mar. 2, 1862. Union troops moved in the next day and held position throughout the war.
 
Erected 1962 by Kentucky Historical Society - Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 528.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 36° 45.946′ N, 89° 6.656′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Kentucky, in Hickman County. Touch for map. Located in the parking lot for Columbus-Belmont State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus KY 42032, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The History of Columbus, Kentucky (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle at Belmont, Missouri (within shouting distance of this marker); Anchor and Chain (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Trenches (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct
"Gibraltar of the West" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 4, 2010
2. "Gibraltar of the West" Marker
line); Polk's Firepower (about 400 feet away); In Search Of .... (about 400 feet away); The Mississippi River in the Civil War (about 400 feet away); Fourth United States Colored Heavy Artillery (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Interior of Restored Earthworks image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 4, 2010
3. Interior of Restored Earthworks
Confederates built fortifications on the bluffs overlooking the river and armed the fort with many heavy cannons.
Mississippi River image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 4, 2010
4. Mississippi River
View of the river from the bluffs at Columbus. At the time of the war, the river made two sharp bends within view of the bluffs. Since the war, the river has meandered and straightened out the main channel.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,194 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement