Carlton in Oglethorpe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Governor Mathews’ Homesite
>>>-- 1 mi. -->
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 109-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 59.175′ N, 82° 53.552′ W. Marker is in Carlton, Georgia, in Oglethorpe County. Marker is at the intersection of Elberton Road (Georgia Route 77) and Saxon Mattox Road, on the right when traveling north on Elberton Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlton GA 30627, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Falling Creek Baptist Church (approx. Nancy Hart (approx. 6.7 miles away); Clarke’s Creek Encampment (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Christmas Tree House (approx. 8.6 miles away); Old Post Road (approx. 8.7 miles away); Elbert County Courthouse (approx. 8.7 miles away); In Memory (approx. 8.7 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 8.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Governor Mathews. The New Georgia Encyclopedia biography of Mathews provides substantially more information on his military and political career, and paints a somewhat different picture than the marker text. (Submitted on October 21, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Politics • War, US Revolutionary • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,054 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on October 22, 2010, by R. Zebley of Rapid City, South Dakota. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 18, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.