Oshkosh in Winnebago County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Spanish–American War Monument
to commemorate the valour
and patriotism of the men
who served in the war with
Spain, Philippine Insurrection
and China Relief Expedition
1898 – 1902
Made possible through the public
spirit and generosity of the late
Colonel John Hicks of Oshkosh
under the auspices of
Nelson A. Miles Camp No. 1
United Spanish War Veterans
Erected 1939 by the estate of Colonel John Hicks (editor and owner of The Oshkosh Northwestern).
Location. 44° 2.071′ N, 88° 33.506′ W. Marker is in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, in Winnebago County. Marker is at the intersection of Algoma Boulevard (U.S. 45) and Congress Avenue (State Highway 21), on the left when traveling north on Algoma Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is located in Hiker Park – a large traffic island. Marker is in this post office area: Oshkosh WI 54901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edgar Sawyer House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rainbow Memorial Park (approx. half a mile away); Knaggs Ferry (approx. 0.6 miles The University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh (was approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); G.A.R. Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Elizabeth Batchelder Davis Children’s Home (approx. ¾ mile away); Soldier and Sailor Monument (approx. one mile away); The 32d Red Arrow Division (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oshkosh.
Also see . . . Spanish–American War. Wikipedia entry. "After the mysterious sinking of the American battleship Maine in Havana harbor, political pressures from the Democratic Party pushed the government headed by President William McKinley, a Republican, into a war McKinley had wished to avoid." (Submitted on October 22, 2010.)
Additional keywords. Hiker's Monument
Categories. • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 973 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 22, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.