“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Overall in Page County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Battle of Milford

Guarding Early's Flank

Battle of Milford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 23, 2010
1. Battle of Milford Marker
In the upper right are portraits of Col. Thomas T. Munford, Gen. James H. Wilson, Gen. Lunsford L. Lomax, and Gen. William H. Powell.
Inscription.  During the Civil War, Milford (present-day Overall) was a small commercial center on the Luray-Front Royal Turnpike. Located in a narrow valley between river and mountains, the village saw more than its share of military action. Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson and his army camped in the area on May 22, 1862, before the Battle of Front Royal. Small engagements occurred here in June 1862 and May 1864.

Two significant battles here occurred in the autumn of 1864. On September 22-24, after Union Gen. Philip H. Sheridan's victory at the Third Battle of Winchester, Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early retreated to a defensible position at Fisher's Hill. To prevent Union forces from encircling his army and blocking his escape route south, Early sent Col. Thomas T. Munford's cavalry to the Page Valley. There they engaged Union Gen. James H. Wilson's cavalry in a series of delaying actions as they fell back to the south. Here at Milford, a natural choke point in the valley, Confederate forces burned the Overall Run Bridge and dug in on the south bank. You can still see the bridge abutments just to the east. Union guns were placed on the
Milford Engagement Map, September 22, 1864 image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 23, 2010
2. Milford Engagement Map, September 22, 1864
bluffs north of Overall Run. Outnumbered more than two to one, the Confederates withstood the Federal artillery barrage and repelled Wilson's flank attack to the east. The Confederate stand allowed Early to escape south after his defeat at Fisher's Hill, much to Sheridan's disappointment. Later, on October 25-26, after Early's defeat at the Battle of Cedar Creek, Confederate Gen. Lunsford L. Lomax's cavalry used the narrow Page Valley terrain here again, to prevent Union Gen. William H. Powell's cavalry from encircling Early's retreating army.

The Milford Battlefield Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 48.337′ N, 78° 20.95′ W. Marker is in Overall, Virginia, in Page County. Marker is at the intersection of Stonewall Jackson Highway (U.S. 340) and Overall Road, on the right when traveling north on Stonewall Jackson Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rileyville VA 22650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Historic Page Valley (here, next to this marker); Overall Bridge (here, next to this marker); Warren County / Page County
Markers at Overall Run Bridges image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 23, 2010
3. Markers at Overall Run Bridges
(about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Valley Church of God in Christ Jesus (approx. 4.7 miles away); Help Wanted! (approx. 4.8 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 4.8 miles away); Range View (was approx. 7.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); A Skyline Drive for a Bird's-Eye View (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Overall.
Also see . . .  Milford Battlefield. (PDF) National Register documentation for the battlefield. (Submitted on October 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
Categories. War, US Civil

More. Search the internet for Battle of Milford.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,501 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement