Lake City in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Greater St. James A.M.E. Church
This church was founded in 1883 by a Rev. Hill and twenty-five charter members. Early services were held in a memberís house on E. Main Street. The congregation purchased a lot at the corner of Lake and N. Church Streets in 1885 and built its first sanctuary, a frame building, that year. That church was renovated and enlarged in 1917. It was further renovated, adding a steeple, in 1948-50.
In 1951 Rev. J.A. DeLaine (1898-1974) was transferred from Pine Grove A.M.E. Church in Summerton after playing a leading role in Briggs v. Elliott, the Clarendon County school desegregation case that led to Brown v. Board of Education (1954). Unknown persons burned the church in October 1955. Rev. G. Lee Baylor was the pastor when a new sanctuary, named Greater St. James, was dedicated here in 1957.
Erected 2004 by the Congregation. (Marker Number 21-16.)
Location. 33° 51.995′ N, 79° 45.902′ W. Marker is in Lake City, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is on Moore Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 339 Moore St., Lake City SC 29560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W.T. Askins House (approx. H.H. Singletary Building (approx. ĺ mile away); Palmetto State Bank Robbery (approx. ĺ mile away); Lake City (approx. ĺ mile away); Church Street/Main Street (approx. 0.8 miles away); Whitehead Infirmary (approx. 0.9 miles away); Browntown (approx. 8.6 miles away); Cooper's Academy / Bethesda Methodist Church (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake City.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Civil Rights •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 635 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.