Near Mars Bluff in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mt. Zion Rosenwald School
This school, built in 1925, was the first public school for African American students in the Mars Bluff community. One of more than 5000 schools in the South funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation, it features a standard two-classroom plan typical of the rural schools built by the foundation between 1917 and 1932.
The first school here, a private school built by Mt. Zion Methodist Church in 1870, burned in the early 1920s. Mt. Zion Rosenwald School usually operated on a four- or five-month calendar in which two or three teachers taught grades 1-6. It closed in 1952 when a new Mars Bluff Consolidated School opened. This school was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
Erected 2002 by Mt. Zion United Methodist Church. (Marker Number 21-14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 34° 10.773′ N, 79° 38.618′ W. Marker is near Mars Bluff, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is on Liberty Chapel Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5040 Liberty Chapel Rd., Florence SC 29506, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Mt. Zion Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Doe (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hewn-Timber Cabins (approx. 1.2 miles away); Francis Marion Memorial Highway (approx. 1.3 miles away); Atomic Bomb Accident at Mars Bluff, March 11, 1958 (approx. 1.6 miles away); American Legion Post #1 / 2nd Lieutenant Fred H. Sexton (approx. 3 miles away); Jamestown (approx. 3 miles away); William R. Johnson House / The Columns (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mars Bluff.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 768 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.