Montevallo in Shelby County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Montevallo High School
The school first fielded a football team in 1930. Coached by Leon Hicks, the first game was played against Piper - Coleanor HS, the longest serving coach has been Theron K. Fisher (1947-1966) for whom the stadium was named in 1977. The blue and orange school colors were adopted circa 1936. In 1969-1970, MHS and the African-American Prentice HS merged.
One of the earliest schools resembling a modern high school was the Montevallo Male & Female Collegiate Institute incorporated in 1858 and operated by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. However, not until the opening of the Alabama Girls Industrial Institute (later Alabama College and now University of Montevallo) in 1896 and the creation of a training
Researched by Katie Gothard.
Erected by the MHS Class of 1952. Emily Vest Pendleton, President.
Erected 2004 by Cahaba Trace Commission / MHS Class of 1952.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 33° 6.224′ N, 86° 51.66′ W. Marker is in Montevallo, Alabama, in Shelby County. Marker is on Oak Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 980 Oak Street, Montevallo AL 35115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. University Of Montevallo National Historic District Alabama Historical Association (about 400 feet away); King House (about 600 feet away); Welcome To Historic Montevallo (approx. ¼ mile away); Town of Wilton (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Liberty Bell Garden (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Liberty Bell (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Colonial Courthouse/The Stocks and Pillory (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montevallo.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,003 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 31, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.