Harrington in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Rural Free Delivery Route
On October 3, 1898, rural free delivery of mail in Delaware was initiated with the formal establishment of a route originating in Harrington. Joseph G. Peckham was appointed to serve as carrier for the circuit, with an annual salary of $300. The route was seventeen and one quarter miles in length. Approximately 600 families were served.
The establishment of the rural free delivery service resulted in the elimination of many small rural post offices. In 1902 alone, twenty-nine were closed in Delaware. By 1938, some 23,000 offices had been discontinued throughout the United States since the introduction of rural delivery.
Erected 1998 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number K-61.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. 38° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrington DE 19952, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clark's Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrington (approx. 0.9 miles away); Griffith's Chapel (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bethel Methodist Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Captain Jonathan Caldwell (approx. 5.8 miles away); Town of Felton (approx. 5.9 miles away); Geographic Center of Delaware (approx. 6 miles away); Abbott's Mill (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrington.
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 789 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.