Mendota in Dakota County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Mendota / Sibley House
[symbol of the Daughters of the American Revolution]
In the language of the Sioux means the mouth of a river. Was the earliest permanent white settlement in southern Minnesota. A pioneer center of the fur trade. Near here were signed treaties with the Indians in 1805 · 1837 · 1851, ceding to the whites most of the land in Minnesota. Fort Snelling was established on this side of the river in 1819. This region was long known as Saint Peters.
Three blocks northeast from here stands the oldest house in Minnesota built in 1835 by General Henry Hastings Sibley, first governor of the state · 1858 · 1859. Restored by the Minnesota Daughters of the American Revolution. Maintained by them as a museum.
This tablet erected by the Minnesota Society Daughters of the American Revolution September 24, 1928.
Erected 1928 by the Minnesota Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 44° 53.003′ N, 93° 9.998′ W. Marker is in Mendota, Minnesota, in Dakota County. Marker is on Sibley Memorial Touch for map. Marker is along the entrance road to the Church of St. Peter's Historic Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Mendota MN 55150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Peter's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Henry Hastings Sibley (approx. ¼ mile away); "Where the Waters Meet" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Faribault House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sibley House Historic Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First Stone House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mendota / Sibley House Association (approx. 0.3 miles away); Henry Sibley and Old Mendota (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mendota.
Also see . . . Minnesota Department of Transportation. Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventory. "Mendota is the oldest permanent Euro-American settlement in Minnesota. The settlement was called (at various times) St. Peter's, New Hope, and The Entry. The name Mendota, a Dakota word meaning "the mouth of a river" or "the meeting of waters," was adopted circa 1837. The Minnesota River joins the Mississippi River near this site." (Submitted on November 4, 2010.)
Additional keywords. Mendota Granite Arrow
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 919 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 4, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.