Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

1891 Red Brick Courthouse

 
 
1891 Red Brick Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, January 7, 2006
1. 1891 Red Brick Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Montgomery County's third courthouse. Built in 1891 the "Old Red Brick Courthouse" has become the symbol and architectural monument of old Rockville. Designated a historic building on July 19, 1965 by the Montgomery County Historical Society, Inc.
 
Location. 39° 5.026′ N, 77° 9.083′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Courthouse Square near Washington Street at West Montgomery Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 Courthouse Square, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Montgomery County Court House (a few steps from this marker); Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock and His Men (a few steps from this marker); Court House Square (a few steps from this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (a few steps from this marker); The Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockville (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Brick Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Gibbs v. Broome, et al/1931 Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
 
Also see . . .  Montgomery County Courthouse Historic District
Old Red Brick Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, January 14, 2006
2. Old Red Brick Courthouse
Marker can be seen in this photo to the left of the staircase.
. (PDF) National Historic Register Nomination Form. (Submitted on March 12, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
1891 Red Brick Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 12, 2017
3. 1891 Red Brick Courthouse Marker
Montgomery County Seal image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 12, 2017
4. Montgomery County Seal
Close-up of image on marker
Montgomery County Emblem image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 12, 2017
5. Montgomery County Emblem
Gardez Bien
Close-up of image on marker
The Old and The New image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 29, 2013
6. The Old and The New
The tower of the Red Brick Courthouse surrounded by Rockville's modern architecture.
Stained-glass Window in the Red Brick Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 29, 2013
7. Stained-glass Window in the Red Brick Courthouse
Thin Gray Line Monument image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, January 14, 2006
8. Thin Gray Line Monument
This statue is on the grounds of the courthouse. The inscription reads "To our heroes of Montgomery Co. Maryland. That we through life may not forget to live the thin gray line. Erected 1913." And on the base of the monument "1861 -CSA- 1865".
Courthouse Square Park Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, April 1, 2006
9. Courthouse Square Park Plaque
City of Rockville, Montgomery County, Maryland. Dedicated 1997.
The Red Brick Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 29, 2013
10. The Red Brick Courthouse
Montgomery County's third courthouse symbolizes more than 200 years of continuous government activity on this site. Since construction in 1891, the Red Brick Courthouse has held courts and county and state offices.

Frank E. Davis designed the courthouse in “Romanesque Revival” style, with broad arches, square tower, sandstone trim, and the Smead system of heating and ventilation. The contractor was Thomas P. Johns.

Over the years, the courthouse survived interior alterations, modernization, and plans for demolition. In 1988, Peerless Rockville formed “Friends of the Red Brick Courthouse” to raise funds to restore the courtroom to its former grandeur. Historic documents and photographs supplemented physical evidence to guide restoration, funded by generous citizens and businesses. In 1996, the courtroom returned to its original use.

Plaque inside the Red Brick Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,853 times since then and 135 times this year. Last updated on November 5, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   3, 4, 5. submitted on March 5, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   6, 7. submitted on March 12, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   8. submitted on January 19, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   9. submitted on April 5, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   10. submitted on March 12, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement