Poughkeepsie in Dutchess County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The former Mills Gate, dedicated in June, 1931, stood fifty feet to the north and was a gift from members of The Training Campus for Nurses, held at Vassar, June to September, 1918.
Proposed by Minnie A. Cumnock Blodgett, Class of 1884, to address the urgent need for wartime nurses, and supported by President Henry Noble MacCracken, the Trustees and Alumnae of Vassar College, and Mary Adelaide Nuttong and the National League of Nursing Education, the campus was organized under the auspices of The National Defense Council and funded by the American Red Cross.
Under the direction of Professor of Economics Herbert E. Mills, nearly 60 instructors from numerous institutions trained some 430 graduates of 117 colleges and universities across America.
Location. 41° 41.504′ N, 73° 54.014′ W. Marker is in Poughkeepsie, New York, in Dutchess County. Marker is at the intersection of Raymond Avenue (New York State Route 376) and Collegeview Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Raymond Avenue. Touch for map. Located on the northwestern edge of Vassar College campus. Marker is in this post office area: Poughkeepsie NY 12603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bennett Gate (here, next to this marker); Dutchess County War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Glebe House (approx. ¾ mile away); Poughkeepsie Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); 5th Ward Honor Roll (approx. 1.4 miles away); Soldiers Memorial Fountain (approx. 1.7 miles away); On This Site (approx. 1.7 miles away); In Affectionate Memory (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Poughkeepsie.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 396 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.