Rexford in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Second aqueduct erected on
site to carry Erie Canal
across Mohawk River.
Nearby are Locks 21 & 22
and a former canal store.
Erected by Clifton Park Bicentennial Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 42° 51.097′ N, 73° 53.251′ W. Marker is in Rexford, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Balltown Road (New York State Route 146), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is on the right as you enter the Town of Clifton Park after crossing the bridge over the Mohawk River. Marker is in this post office area: Rexford NY 12148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clifton Park Center Baptist Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Site of the Home of Charles Proteus Steinmetz (approx. 2.9 miles away); Whipple Bowstring Truss (approx. 3 miles away); ALCo Site (approx. 3.2 miles away); Nott Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away); Ignacy Jan Paderewski Revolutionary Hospital & Continental Barracks (approx. 3½ miles away); Schenectady's Little Italy (approx. 3.6 miles away).
Regarding Aqueduct, 1842. The Rexford Aqueduct was built to carry the Erie Canal across the Mohawk River in 1842. It was built as part of the enlargement of the Erie Canal and replaced the smaller original Rexford Aqueduct. After the 1842 Rexford aqueduct was build just a few yards east of and down stream of the original aqueduct. The piers of the original aqueduct became the base of a toll bridge across the river. When the current canal system, The Barge Canal System as it was called in 1916, was put in place most of the aqueduct was disassembled to allow navigation in the canalized Mohawk River, yet the state retained portions of the aqueduct for use as the base of a highway bridge across the river. In 1964 the state widened the roadway which is NY Route 146. The Rt. 146 bridge that is there now was designed by the New York State Department of Public Works and opened in 1965. When they built the new bridge, just upstream of the aqueduct, they removed some of the arches of the aqueduct, thus widening the navigable channel.
Also see . . .
1. The Rexford Aqueduct page of The Erie Canal website. (Submitted on November 11, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Erie Canal (Enlarged), Upper Mohawk River Aqueduct, Mohawk River, State Route 146, Rexford, Saratoga. (Submitted on November 11, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 858 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.