El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
El Paso & Southwestern Railroad
Locomotive Number One
Believed to have been named Spring Green, the locomotive served the upper midwestern United States for more than 30 years. By 1889, the Arizona & Southeastern Railroad Company, which later became the El Paso & Southwestern Railroad (EP&SW), had acquired it and converted it from a wood-burner to a coal-burner. The smokestack was also likely reconfigured from a funnel type to a straight type at that time. Calling it Locomotive No. One, EP&SW utilized it in the development of Bisbee, Arizona and in other mining and industrial operations of the Southwest.
EP&SW retired Old Number One after more than 50 years of service, moving it to a park adjacent to company headquarters at 416 N. Stanton Street in 1909. Except for its brief role in
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3724.)
Location. 31° 45.39′ N, 106° 29.56′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is on West San Antonio Avenue east of West Paisano Drive (U.S. 85), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Union Plaza Transit Terminal. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 West San Antonio Avenue, El Paso TX 79901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bataan Memorial Trainway (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); El Paso Union Passenger Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hotel Paso Del Norte (approx. ¼ mile away); A City Is Born Montgomery Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Stage Station (approx. ¼ mile away); La Patria Newspaper (approx. ¼ mile away); Old San Francisco Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 906 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 28, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on November 12, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on October 28, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.