El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Rio Grande Irrigation Project
Here, and in the adjoining valley north of the pass, agricultural production of cotton and other crops is among the highest on the continent. This is a tribute to the stalwart men who put to their best use the great life-giving elements of this area, the fertile soils, the sunshine, and the waters of the Rio Grande.
The lands were first irrigated in the 17th century by the Spanish padres, but their crops were often lost due to floods in the spring or drought in the summer.
In 1915 the Elephant Butte Dam was completed on the Rio Grande 125 miles north of El Paso. It stores the spring floods and enables regulated releases for irrigation of the lands in the United States and those in Mexico pursuant to the Treaty of 1906.
Erected 1962 by The State National Bank of El Paso.
Location. 31° 46.956′ N, 106° 28.788′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is on Scenic Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2208 Scenic Drive, El Paso TX 79902, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Franklin Mountains (here, next to this marker); The Rainmakers of 1891 El Paso Lower Valley Missions/ Cordova Island/ The City and County of El Paso (here, next to this marker); The Chamizal Settlement (here, next to this marker); The Rio Grande Rectification Project (a few steps from this marker); Mount Cristo Rey/ The Gadsden Purchase/ El Paso Smelting Works (a few steps from this marker); The City of El Paso / Ciudad Juarez, Mexico (a few steps from this marker); Texas Western College/ The Peace Grove (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
Also see . . . The Dam is Near Completion. A 1915 article published in Popular Mechanics Magazine. (Submitted on November 18, 2010.)
Categories. • Agriculture •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 376 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on November 18, 2010. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.