Near New Concord in Calloway County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Iron Made in Kentucky
Built 2¼ miles east in 1854 by Browder, Kentucky and Co. Inside it was 24ft. high and 10½ ft. across at widest point, burning locally made charcoal fuel. Its air blast machinery was powered by steam. In 34 weeks of 1857, it produced 1,595 tons of pig iron, mostly shipped by steamboats on Tennessee River. Did not operate after 1858. See other side.
Iron Made in Kentucky
A major producer since 1791, Ky. ranked 3rd in US in 1830s, 11th in 1965. Charcoal timber, native ore, limestone supplied material for numerous furnaces making pig iron, utensils, munitions in the Hanging Rock, Red River, Between Rivers, Rolling Fork, Green River Regions. Charcoal-furnace era ended in 1880s with depletion of ore and timber and use of modern methods. Over.
Erected 2007 by Kentucky Historical Society - Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1373.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 36° 31.463′ N, 88° 7.129′ W. Marker is near New Concord, Kentucky, in Calloway County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 121 and Cypress Trail, on the right Touch for map. Located in front of the New Mt. Carmel Missionary Baptist Church. Marker is in this post office area: New Concord KY 42076, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Heiman (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Henry (approx. 5.3 miles away in Tennessee); Site of Fort Henry (approx. 5.9 miles away in Tennessee); Naval Warfare (approx. 6.2 miles away in Tennessee); Forrest at Paris Landing (approx. 6.2 miles away in Tennessee); a different marker also named Fort Henry (approx. 7½ miles away in Tennessee); Advance On Fort Donelson (approx. 9.7 miles away in Tennessee); Advance on Fort Donelson (approx. 9.7 miles away in Tennessee).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 739 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 14, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.